The weather in the UK in January and February is renowned for being rubbish, but don't let that get you down or make you hibernate. Getting outside for a bit of fresh air during the winter months has lots of benefits including improving our mood and our physical health, leading to reduced stress and increased self-esteem.
Even a short walk will help, and there is one spot that is perfect, even on a grey, rainy day. RHS Garden Wisley near Woking is one of Surrey's top tourist attractions, and for good reason. It has something for everyone.
Open all year round, the award-winning garden has acres of land to explore, space for kids to run around and areas to learn and discover new things. With flat paths circling all the interconnecting gardens, it's suitable for prams, wheelchairs and people unsteady on their feet.
READ MORE: Surrey’s ‘secret’ beach busy in summer and deserted in winter
What's more, as there are dedicated, clean pathways, there is no fear of getting your feet muddy on a rainy day. While some people may choose to wear walking boots, they are not essential unless you want to venture into the woodlands off-piste.
Similarly, there are lots of undercover areas to take shelter if the rain really does fall down. The Pinetum is a collection of century-old trees, many coniferous offering a canopy for walkers, while the Glasshouse not only gives visitors a dry haven, but it's nice and warm inside too.
Home to magnificent tropical plants, you won't want to leave it on a chilly day. In June 2021, RHS Hilltop – The Home of Gardening Science opened and that too offers guests an undercover area to walk around and learn more horticulture.
And finally, if you get peckish during your winter walk, there are various cafes and restaurants dotted across the site serving everything from frothy hot chocolates and coffees, to hearty soups and wholesome sandwiches. You can even tuck into a full English breakfast.
- Price: Entry costs £15.95 for adults, £7.95 for children and free for RHS members.
- Address: Wisley Lane, Wisley, Woking, GU23 6QB.
- Winter opening times: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm (until 3.30pm January 7-8). Open daily except Christmas Day.
- Book: Visit rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley.
- Staines pub transformed into magical French restaurant with fairy lights
- The fairy tale village on the cusp of Surrey that’s one of the best places to live
- You can go on a walk with alpacas 15 minutes from Surrey
- The eerie Surrey beauty spot where a sailor was brutally murdered
- I went to Surrey's secret adult-only cinema with amazing reclining seats